What makes a memorable drive for you?
Our recent study found that nearly three quarters (73%) of UK motorists enjoy driving yet distractions on the road leave them missing out on making memories as they focus on sat navs, traffic and avoiding roadworks.
It also found 33% of Brits state that the most prominent memory from previous driving trips have been who they have travelled with, beating amazing views (33%), passing famous landmarks (30%) and the destination itself (29%). Using this insight, we have created the top 20 things that make a car journey memorable…
The Top 10 most memorable drives in the UK
With a mission to find out what truly makes a memorable drive, we’ve curated 10 memorable routes for the nation to enjoy, all of which include at least 3 of the 20 elements.
1. North Norfolk Coast: King’s Lynn to Cromer via the North Norfolk Coast
2. Through Kielder Forest: Hexham Abbey to Hawick
3. London After Hours: Notting Hill to Greenwich
4. Surrey Hills: Dorking to Petworth
5. Edinburgh and East Lothian: Edinburgh to North Berwick
6. From Highlands to Coast: Glenshee to Banff portion
7. Dartmoor: Tavistock to Ashburton
8. Welsh Coast: Llŷn Peninsula to Fron Haul
9. Jurassic Coast: Swanage to Weymouth
10. Somerset: Clifton in Bristol to Glastonbury
We’ve also partnered with cognitive scientist, Dr Martha Newson, as part of our campaign, who has shared her top three tips on how to have a memorable journey this summer.
1. Choose your car snacks wisely
2. Minimise distractions
3. Really stretch your legs when you have a rest break
A fifth of Brits have also said that they miss out on making memories on drives due to engine fumes and noise, easily solved by switching to electric. With a mission to decarbonise road transport, we’re hoping to inspire people to make the switch to electric vehicles. Would you consider making the change?